MATT BRAZIS, RHP ... ONE-STOP SHOPPING
2013 Age: 20 ... 6-foot-3, 205 ... drafted in the 28th round of the 2012 draft out of Boston College
Cheesy MarinersTalk.com catchphrase: Like an Eagle!
Baseball-Reference.com Stat Line:
|2012||22||2 Teams||2 Lgs||A-Rk||SEA||2||0||1.000||0.65||18||0||15||0||7||27.2||11||3||2||1||5||51||0.578||3.6||0.3||1.6||16.6||10.20|
Key 2012 splits imported from MinorLeagueCentral.com:
More explanation of the stats here. If you find this too small, at least in Firefox you can right-click and click "View Image" to enlarge (not sure about other browsers). Essentially, the more color the better.
Yes, Brazis hit every single benchmark that one can hit, and, therefore, got every color.
Fun Facts to Know and Tell:
- Floridian Brazis is from Tampa Jesuit, the same high school that produced ... Lou Piniella (and Dave Magadan and Brad Radke).
- He went quite a lengthy trip north for college, but stayed in the Jesuit fold in attending BC.
- Unlike his high school, BC baseball has yet to really produce a major leaguer of note. Brazis could be the first.
Three Numbers (confused? help here): Command/Control: 225 Production: 230 Composite: 355
OK ... at the start of the 2012 season, Brazis was a college senior who had gone undrafted (most college guys are drafted after their junior year) following a season in which he was 0-4 with a 5.79 ERA and 5.4 K/9.
I don't know what manner of magic sparkle dust descended upon him, but -- whoa! -- suddenly everything was different.
- In his senior year at BC: 3.18 ERA, 13.2 K/9
- Then rookie-level Pulaski: 0.00 ERA, 20.5 K/9
- Then Low-A Clinton: 0.93 ERA, 14.9 K/9
Can he keep it up? I don't know. It was only 17.0 innings at BC and 27.2 innings as a pro, but they certainly made an impression.
Obviously, he would rank higher if we knew whether more advanced hitters will figure him out, but, so far, he had about as "untouchable" a year as a pitcher can have.
And we didn't even mention the 0.58 WHIP or the 1.6 BB/9.
And, yes, that's negative FIP during the first two months.
This version has the song, and actual eagles: