GRADY WOOD, RHP ... ONE-STOP SHOPPING
2013 Age: 23 ... 6-foot-2, 195 ... drafted in 10th round of 2012 draft out of Western Oregon University
Cheesy MarinersTalk.com catchphrase: Bring the Wood!
Baseball-Reference.com Stat Line:
Key splits imported from MinorLeagueCentral.com:
Fun Facts to Know and Tell:
- Western Oregon University, I have come to find out, is the WOU Wolves. How much wood would a WOU Wolf Wood chuck if a WOU Wolf Wood could chuck ....... nevermind.
- As you can check out in the video, Wood comes around sidearm, But not really a whip-around sidearm, but sort of a short-arm sidearm. It's different, but it seems to work plenty well. I assume it gives him some extra deception.
- Wood was pitching in relief in Everett after signing, but I'm guessing he'll be given a chance to start again. He was a starter in college. It's too soon to tell if the rotation or bullpen will be his ultimate destination.
- Wood, in the 10th round, was the first college pitcher taken by the Ms in the 2012 draft.
- He is the second-highest draft pick ever from WOU. None of the ex-WOU Wolves taken have made it to the majors.
Three Numbers: Command/Control: 109 "Stuff": 129 Composite: 138
Wood rung up impressive numbers all across the Spectometer scan. At 22, he was a bit old for Short Season, but, coming out of Division II, that's not unexpected. Obviously, the hitters there had a very hard time getting good wood on the ball (pun sort-of not intended). Five extra-base hits (all doubles) in 158 batters faced, for a .241 SLG-against and .037 ISO-against, is about as good as you will ever see.